Page 24

William A. Ennes(V) Families



        WILLIAM A. ENNES (V), son of Wilhelmus (IV), son of Joseph (III), the ferryman, was born in Sandyton township, New Jersey about 1793 or 1794. His mother was Marie Ennes, a daughter of Lieutenant Benjamin Ennis who died in the Battle of Connesbaugh in 1780.

        At the age of three, William moved with his parents and other kinfolk to Spencer township, Tioga County, New York in Susquehanna Valley. About 1812 Williamís parents moved from Spencer township to Catherine township, Tioga County, Soon after this, in 1814, William went to Schenectady and enlisted in the army in heavy artillery during the War of 1812. He became an orderly sergeant and was stationed in northeastern New York.

        When the War ended, William returned to Schenectady where he had relatives, the Hornbecks. While there, he wooed and married Margaret Snell.

        MARGARET SNELL was born In 1795, the daughter of Major Snell and Elizabeth Gill. Margaret was the youngest of a large family.

        Major Snell was a merchant. He was born In Yorkshire, near Weston, in England in 1720. He died in 1818 at the age of ninety-eight.

        While living in Schenectady, William Ennes (V) and Margaret lived in the first ward, thirteen houses away from Margaretís parents. It was in Schenectady that Alonzo Havington Ennes (VI) was born in 1819.

        William and Margaret lived in Schenectady until 1820. They are on the 1820 census there. They must have moved back with Williamís parents early that year for they also appear living on the 1820 census with Wilhelmus Ennes. Later that year, Margarete Marie, their first daughter was born. She was named after her mother and her fatherís mother.

        Soon after this William Ennes (V) and his family moved northwest to Canisteo township, Steuben County, south of Rochester, New York. Times were good there. The Erie Canal was being built. They lived back in the woods a days ride on horseback. There, he and his family lived in a Dutch-style log building. It had double doors, one above the other.


Trouble with the Indians


        It was early spring. The family food larder was running low. William Ennes filled a large sack with grain and put the sack of grain over the horse and rode for a day to get the grain to the mill for grinding. He left his young wife, Margaret, and the children alone in the cabin. Mrs. Ennes latched the lower door but forgot to latch the upper one.

        Late In the afternoon of the second day, a band of hungry Indians came. They opened the upper door and entered the cabin.


Click on page number below
Cover Page....Cover Page2


Return to Main Page