Johannes Van Etten and Maria Gonzales
Johannes Van Etten is said to be the son of Jacob Van Etten and Antjen Westbrook. Johannes. He had three brothers, Jan, Cornelis, and Anthony, and three sister, Lena, Jannetjen, and Sara. Johannes married first Maria Gonzales, the daughter of Manuel Gonzales and Rymerick Quick. Maria had five brothers, Manuel, Daniel, Benjamin, Johannes, and Samuel, and two sisters, Johanna and Elizabeth.  Johannes married second Rachel Williams between 1776-1781. Johannes served as a captain in Pennsylvania in the American Revolution. The DAR Patriot Index says that Johannes died 15 Feb 1815.
Johannes and Maria had:
1. Magdalena Van Etten, baptized 6 Oct 1751 in Machackemeck, Orange, New York, married Benjamin Ennis Aug 1769 in Machackemeck, Orange, New York, moved to Tioga County, New York.
2. Manuel Van Etten, baptized 2 Jun 1754 in Machackemeck, Orange, New York, married Maria Shimer 9 Nov 1788 in Machackemeck, Orange, New York.
3. Rymerich Van Etten, baptized 14 Apr 1756 in Machackemeck, Orange, New York, married Bernardus Swartwout .
4. Johannes Van Etten, baptized in 1759 in Walpeck, Orange, New York, married twice-Mary McGee and Cornelia Decker, served as an ensign for Pennsylvania in the American Revolution, died Aug 1808, his widow was pensioned.
5. Jacobus Van Etten, baptized 18 Jan 1761 in Machackemeck, Orange, New York, married Maria Schick .
6. Elisabeth Van Etten, baptized 6 Feb 1763 in Machackemeck, Orange, New York, married Moses Van Gorden .
7. Catharina Van Etten, baptized 29 Apr 1772 in Machackemeck, Orange, New York, married Jacob Swartwout 15 may 1791 in Machackemeck, Orange, New York.
8. Semijon (Simeon) Van Etten, baptized 25 Nov 1776 in Machackemeck, Orange, New York, married Kornelia Dingman .
Johannes and Rachel had:
9. Daniel Van Etten, baptized 19 Aug 1781 in Machackemeck, Orange, New York, married Catherine Decker .
10. Solomon Van Etten, born 12 Feb 1789, baptized 31 Mar 1789 in Machackemeck, Orange, New York, married Caty Rosenkrans .
1. Minisink Valley Reformed Dutch Church Records, 1716-1830, facsimile reprint by Heritage Books, Bowie, MD, 1992.
2. DeCoursey, Bill, It's About Time, Vol. IV, New Brighton, Minnesota, 2000.
3. DAR Patriot Index, Daughter of the American Revolution, Washington D.C., 1966.
Church Register of the Walpeck Congregation.
Commenced with the Pastoral Service of Joh. Casparus Fryenmuth.
Preacher there May 31, 1741
Page Number Baptism Date Parents Child Witnesses 15 1759 Johannis Van Ette Johannis Willm. Smit, Maria Gonsalies Elisabet Henshew
Records of Baptisms of the Reformed Church at Machackemeck (Deerpark).
Page Number Baptism Date Parents Child Witnesses 123 1751 Johannes van Etten Magdalena J. C. Fryenmoet, Oct. 6 Maria Consales Magdalena Van Etten, his wife 129 1754 Johannes van Etten Manuel Manuel Gonsales, June 2 Maria Gonsales Jannetje van Etten, his Wife 132 1756 Johannes van Etten Rymerich Samuel Gonsales, April 14 Maria Gonsales Rymerick Gonsales 140 1761 Johannes van Etten Jacobus Jacob Helm, Jan. 18 Maria Consalus Lena Helm 143 1763 Johannis van Etten Elisabeth Peter Helm, Feb. 6 Maria Gonsalis Elisabeth Helm 160 1772 Johannes Van Etten Catharina Hendrick W. Kortreght, April 29 Maria Gonsalis Catharina Middag 167 1776 Johannes Van Netten Semijon Semyon Westvale, Nov. 25 Maria --- Sarte Cole 180 1781 Johannes Van Etten Daniel Aug 19 Rachel Williams 192 1789 Johannes Van Etten Solomon, March 31 Rachel Williams b. Feb. 12, 1789
Marriage Record-1737-97 (Machackemeck)
1769-August. Benjamin Ennis to Lena Van Etten.
1788-Nov. 9. Manuel Van Etten, Maria Shimer.
1791-May 15. Jacob Swartwout, Cattrina Van Etten.
Church Members-1745-67. (Machackemeck)
1786-Dec. 31...Johannes Van Etten and wife Rachel Williams...Mary McGee wife of Joannes Van Etten, Jr...
"On a meeting of the Consistory of Menesing Church the 16 February 1792
Elias Van Bunschooten After calling on the name of God they Joannes D. Westbrook thought for several reasons that it was best
Gysbert Sutfin to incorporated: and for that purpose, at the
Joannes Van Etten same time, signed a certificate which is
Abraham Westfal recorded by Rhodes Clerk of the County of
Cornelius Cole Sussex of the State of New Jersey the 1st of Jeremiah Van Demerck March, 1792."
Source: Minisink Valley Reformed Dutch Church Records, 1716-1830, facsimile reprint by Heritage Books, Bowie, MD, 1992.
Excerpts from It's About Time, Vol. IV, by Bill DeCoursey, New Brighton, Minnesota, 2000.
"Andrew DINGMAN, in 1775, together with John Cleve SYMMES (a teacher at Walpack, New Jersey and later founder of a colony centered around present Cincinnati, Ohio.) assembled a company of men to fight the British. In 1776 he volunteered under Capt. Johannes VanETTEN to go into Sussex Co., N.J. to apprehend and take prisoner a number of Tories, that were held in the Jail of Sussex Co. (among them was one by the name of PUE and one of the name of HAGERTY). In Aug 1776 while serving under Capt. Johannes VanETTEN, he marched to Amboy, at the time the British lay on Long Island, where a battle was fought...In the spring of 1779, he enrolled in the Penna. Militia under Capt. Johannes VanETTEN and manned a fort that his father had built in Delaware Twp. (now) Pike County, Penna...Afterwards he enlisted under Samuel WESTBROOK and Capt. Peter WESTBROOK, two brothers from New Jersey and Capt. Johannes VanETTEN and Lieut. Benjamin ENNES of the State of Penna. They were engaged in a skirmish on the Pennsylvania side of the Delaware River near a house occupied by Philip McCARTY. The Indians retreated and laid in ambush and again gave battle, in which Capt. Peter WESTBROOK, Lieut Benjamin ENNES, and a young man by the name of Richard ROSENCRANTZ were killed. Samuel HELMS and James Van NETTEN were wounded."
Nat'l Archives pension file #S22731; also PENNSYLVANIA ARCHIVES, Ser.5,v.8,pp431-432.
From the DAR Patriot Index,
Daughter of the American Revolution, Washington D.C., 1966.
Johannes: b 1730 d 2-15-1815 m (1) Marie Gonzales (2) Rachel (Williams) Decker Capt PA "
Also listed is one of Johannes' sons:
"Johannes, Jr.: b 1759 d 8- -1808 m Cornelia Decker Ens PA W* "
 There was a child of Manuel Gonzales and Rymerick Quick recorded in Kingston baptismal record that was baptized 10 Feb 1734. The child's name was torn out so it's not known if that was the baptism of another brother or sister of Maria or if it was Maria's missing baptismal record itself.
 Rymerig and Bernardus listed as parents of Knelia Swartwout in 1794 in the Minisink baptismal record (pg. 46).
 Jacobus and Maria listed as parents of Mary Van Etten in 1784 in the Minisink baptismal record (pg. 33).
 Elizabeth and Moses listed as parents of Magdalen Van Gorden in 1801 in the Minisink baptismal record (pg. 49).
 Simeon and Kornelia listed as parents of Daniel Dingman Van Etten in 1800 in the Minisink baptismal record (pg. 213).
 Daniel and Catherine listed as parents of Dorothy Van Etten in 1800 in the Minisink baptismal record (pg. 215).
 Solomon and Caty listed as parents of John Van Etten in 1810 in the Minisink baptismal record (pg. 63).
 Capt PA = Captain, Pennsylvania.
 Ens PA W*= Ensign, Pennsylvania, Widow pensioned.
(c) 2002 by Michelle Boyd, All rights reserved.
Return to Van Etten Page
Return to Home Page
To contact me: email@example.com
Last updated Jan. 29,2002.