The Medieval Genealogy of Thomas Perkins of Hillmorton
The line of descent for Thomas Perkins, husband of Alys — is as follows (from the most recent to the earliest generation):
Thomas Perkins, husband of Alys —
William Perkins and Joanna Read
William Perkins, Lord Ufton and Margaret —
Pierre de Morlaix (a.k.a. Peter Morley) and Agnes Taylor
From here there is disagreement about the lineage of Peter Morley. The Ford Pedigree shows him as the son of Perkin Morley. The Wenham Pedigree gives the following line of descent:
1-Pierre de Morlaix (aka Peter Morley)
2-Pierre Dedruex of Bretagne
3-Jean II, Duke of Bretagne and Beatrice, Princess of England (daughter of King Henry III of
England and Eleanor, Countess of Provence)
4-John Dedreux and Blanche Navarre
5-Pierre I (Mauclerc) Dedreux Count of Brittany and Alice DeThouars
6-Count Robert II Dedreux and Mathilde DeBougogne
Descent of the Perkins Family of Ufton, Brimpton & Beenham
Pedigree of the Lords of the Manor of Ufton, Berkshire
Compiled by David Nash Ford
1 Perkin Morley, Abt 1300 -
2 Peter Perkins alias Morley, Abt 1325 -
+Agnes Taylor, Abt 1330 -
3 Henry Perkins, Abt 1350 -
4 John Perkins, Abt 1375 -
5 William Perkins, Abt 1400 - 1449
+Margaret Surname-Unknown, Abt 1405 -
6 Thomas Perkins, Abt 1425 - 1478
+Alice Paynell, Abt 1430 -
6 William Perkins, Abt 1430 - Abt 1495
+Joanna Reade, 1434 -
7 From whom descends the Perkins’ of Hillmorton, Warwickshire.
…Until about the year 1400, surnames were extremely uncommon in England, but since that time men were accustomed to add to their Christian names certain terminals, especially such as would the better distinguish them from their fathers. We find among these that of kin or kins, which Bardsley, a late English writer, thinks has all the significance of our junior, so that we have Wilkins, the son of Will; Jenkins, the son of James; Tomkins, the son of Tom; Pierrekins, the son of Pierre, etc.
In the reign of Richard II. Pierre de Morlaix, or Morley, probably a Norman from the town of Morlaix, in France, was high steward of the estates of Hugo Despencer, who was at that time one of the richest and most powerful nobles of England. This Pierre de Morlaix had by his wife, Agnes Taylor, a son Henry, who, on the death of his father, was known as Henry Pierrekin, or Henry the son of Pierre. He succeeded to the stewardship, and had a son John who in time became steward and wrote his name John Perkins, and sometimes Perkyns, armiger.
This John Perkins, esquire, was Lord of the manor of Madrasfield as well as steward of the Despencers, and it is believed that he was the first who bore for his arms, the fesse dancette between six billets.
John Perkins, armiger, was living during the reign of Henry VI and held that position of high steward when the heiress of that famous family married the king-making Earl of Warwick.
In the numerous transfers of land which he was called upon to make at the time, he sometimes signed his name Perkyns and sometimes Perkins, and some of his descendants, now living in England, sign themselves Parkyns or Parkins.
This coat of arms of the Perkins family was taken from a deed of land in Ipswich, Mass., from Dr. John Perkins and wife to John Wainwright of Ipswich, and bears date of 1725, and was of right used by Dr. Perkins and his family, who were then British subjects. This is the same arms as is found upon memorial tablets in churches in England at this day…
Source: Perkins, George A., The Genealogy of John Perkins , Salem, MA: Salem Press Publishing & Printing Co., 1889.
Generation No. 1
ROBERT II DEDREUX1 COUNT was born 1154, and died December 28, 1218. He married MATHILDE DEBOUGOGNE.
More About MATHILDE DEBOUGOGNE: Burial: 1184
Children of ROBERT COUNT and MATHILDE DEBOUGOGNE are:
i. PIERRE I MAUCLERC DEDREUX COUNT2 BRITTANY, b. 1187; d. June 22, 1250.
ii. PHILLIPA DEDREUX.
iii. YOLANDE DEDREUX.
iv. ADELAIDE DEDREUX, b. 1189.
v. AGNES DEDREUX, b. 1195.
Generation No. 2
2. PIERRE I MAUCLERC DEDREUX COUNT2 BRITTANY (ROBERT II DEDREUX1 COUNT) was born 1187, and died June 22, 1250. He married ALICE DETHOUARS DUCHESS BRITTANY 1213.
Child of PIERRE BRITTANY and ALICE BRITTANY is:
i. JOHN3 DEDREUX, d. 1286.
Generation No. 3
3. JOHN3 DEDREUX (PIERRE I MAUCLERC DEDREUX COUNT2 BRITTANY) died 1286. He married BLANCHE NAVARRE.
Child of JOHN DEDREUX and BLANCHE NAVARRE is:
i. JEAN II DUKE4 BRETAGNE, b. January 04, 1237/38, Rennes, IEV,France; d. November 18, 1305, St. Denis, Seine, France.
Generation No. 4
4. JEAN II DUKE4 BRETAGNE (JOHN3 DEDREUX) was born January 04, 1237/38 in Rennes, IEV, France, and died November 18, 1305 in St. Denis, Seine, France. He married BEATRICE PRINCESS ENGLAND January 22, 1258/59, daughter of HENRY ENGLAND and ELEANOR PROVENCE. She was born June 25, 1242 in Bordeaux, Gascony, France, and died March 24, 1274/75 in Bretagne, France.
Children of JEAN BRETAGNE and BEATRICE ENGLAND are:
i. PIERRE DEDREUX PRINCE5 BRETAGNE, b. 1272, Rennes, IEV, France; d. 1312.
ii. BLANCH DEDREUX.
iii. HENRY DEDREUX.
iv. ARTHUR II DEDREUX DUKE BRETAGNE, b. 1262.
v. JOHN DEDREUX EARL RICHMOND, b. 1266.
vi. MARY DEDREUX, b. 1268.
vii. ALICE DEDREUX ABBESS OF FONTEVRAUD BRETAGNE, b. 1274.
Generation No. 5
5. PIERRE DEDREUX PRINCE5 BRETAGNE (JEAN II DUKE4) was born 1272 in Rennes, IEV, France, and died 1312.
Child of PIERRE DEDREUX PRINCE BRETAGNE is:
i. PIERRE deMorlaix (AKA PETER6 MORLEY), b. 1320, Bretagne, Morlaix, Normandy, France; d. 1384, Shropshire, England.
Generation No. 6
6. PIERRE deMorlaix (AKA PETER6 MORLEY) (PIERRE DeDreux PRINCE5 BRETAGNE) was born 1320 in Bretagne, Morlaix, Normandy, France, and died 1384 in Shropshire, England. He married AGNES TAYLOR 1350, daughter of JOHN TAYLOR. She was born 1325 in Rutland, Rutlandshire, England.
Child of PIERRE MORLEY and AGNES TAYLOR is:
i. HENRY7 PERKINS, b. 1340, Shropshire, England; d. Hillmorton, Warwickshire, England.
Generation No. 7
7. HENRY7 PERKINS (PIERRE deMorlaix (AKA PETER6 MORLEY)) was born 1340 in Shropshire, England, and died in Hillmorton, Warwickshire, England.
Child of HENRY PERKINS is:
i. JOHN8 PERKINS, b. 1360, Madresfield, Worcestershire, England; d. January 05, 1399/00, Madresfield, Worchestershire, England.
Generation No. 8
8. JOHN8 PERKINS (HENRY7) was born 1360 in Madresfield, Worchestershire, England, and died January 05, 1399/00 in Madresfield, Worchestershire, England.
Child of JOHN PERKINS is:
i. WILLIAM PERKINS LORD9 UFTON, b. 1380, Madresfield, Worcestershire, England; d. 1451, Ufton Court, Berkshire, England.
Generation No. 9
9. WILLIAM PERKINS LORD9 UFTON (JOHN8 PERKINS) was born 1380 in Madresfield, Worcestershire, England, and died 1451 in Ufton Court, Berkshire, England. He married MARGARET ?. She was born 1424 in Berkshire, England.
Children of WILLIAM UFTON and MARGARET ? are:
i. THOMAS10 PERKINS, b. 1400, Madresfield, Worcestershire, England; d. 1479, Madresfield, Worcestershire, England.
ii. HUMPHREY PERKINS, b. 1420.
Generation No. 10
10. THOMAS10 PERKINS (WILLIAM PERKINS LORD9 UFTON) was born 1400 in Madresfield, Worcestershire, England, and died 1479 in Madresfield, Worcestershire, England. He married MARGARET ?
Children of THOMAS PERKINS and MARGARET ? are:
i. WILLIAM11 PERKINS, b. 1430, Hillmorton, Warwickshire, England; d. 1495.
ii. THOMAS PERKINS.
iii. JOHN PERKINS, b. 1420.
iv. JAMES PERKINS, b. 1442.
v. RICHARD PERKINS, b. 1443.
vi. LAWRECE PERKINS, b. 1443.
Generation No. 11
11. WILLIAM11 PERKINS (THOMAS10) was born 1430 in Hillmorton, Warwickshire, England, and died 1495. He married JOANA READ 1455. She was born 1434 in Coventry, Warwickshire, England.
Children of WILLIAM PERKINS and JOANA READ are:
i. THOMAS12 PERKINS, b. 1458, Hillmorton, Warwickshire, England; d. April 21, 1528, Hillmorton, Warwickshire, England.
ii. JOHN PERKINS, b. 1456.
iii. WILLIAM PERKINS, b. 1460.
iv. RICHARD PERKINS, b. 1470.
Generation No. 12
12. THOMAS12 PERKINS (WILLIAM11) was born 1458 in Hillmorton, Warwickshire, England, and died April 21, 1528 in Hillmorton, Warwickshire, England. He married ALICE DEASTLEY. She was born 1461 in Hillmorton, Warwickshire, England.
Children of THOMAS PERKINS and ALICE DEASTLEY are:
i. HENRY13 PERKINS, b. 1484, Hillmorton, Warwickshire, England; d. June 16, 1546, Hillmorton, Warwickshire, England.
ii. JOAN PERKINS.
iii. JULIAN PERKINS.
Source: Perkins, James Fulton, Wenham Descendants of Pierre deMorlaix, http://freepages.education.rootsweb.com/~kiddiecampus/
Page 118, Perkyns of Ufton [MS. Ashmole 853, p.301]
Shows a Coat of Arms, 1. Perkins, 2. Mychell?, 3. More, 4. Atmore, Impaling Eyston.
Page 119, By Chitting and Philipott for Camden
Supstes 4 R.2.
 Petrus Morley alias Perkins de Co: Salopiae Servus [sic] Dni Hugonis de Spenser Dni de Shipton in Com: Oxon = Alice Taylor uxor eius. [and had]
 Henricus Perkins filius Petri = [blank] and had
 Johes Perking [sic] ar. filius Henrici vizit j. H. 4 (Senescallus Tho: Comitis Gloucestr: 21 R. 2.) = [blank] and had
 Willus Perkins Ar: filius Johannis (Supstes 7 H. 5. at 5 H. 6) = [blank] and had
 Tho: Perkins ar: fil. Willi ob: ante 18 E. 4. (38 H. 6. 1460) = [blank]…
…I George Underwood of Ufton…I testifye this latter Pedigree to be true…
Source: Visitation of Berkshire 1665-66, Harleian Society Visitation Series, vol. 56, pgs. 118-119.
 By some accounts, William is shown as the son of Thomas and Margaret Perkins with Thomas as the son of William Lord Ufton, instead of William being the son of William Lord Ufton.
 The family took the name Perkins meaning “Peter’s kin”.
 Shown in one pedigree as the daughter of John Taylor.
© 2004 by Michelle Boyd, All rights reserved.
Return to Hussey/Perkins Page
Return to Home Page
To contact me: email@example.com
Last updated 21 Jan 2004.